Wednesday 30 March 2016

Science time!

Hello everyone,

It's been a long long time since I posted anything on here (for which I feel bad about), so sorry about that!

I've been looking further into my PhD, and as part of my BBSRC DTP work I have to do scientific outreach to people. Now, first of all:

What is outreach?
This basically means that I, as a scientist, have to get my science work out to you people out there, both scientists and more specifically you non-scientists.

Why outreach?
Well, it's important that science reaches everyone. Science shouldn't be some exclusive club that you have to have 3 degrees in before you can understand it. So it's important for the people doing scientific research to tell everyone else about it in terms they can understand.

So why are you going on about this?
Well one of the ways you can do outreach is by blogging about science! So that's what I'm planning to do. I'm going to attempt to explain something to do with my degree (or if I'm really lucky, something else science related) once every couple of weeks or so.

If anyone has any requests or questions or comments, please please please ask me. Part of this works by interaction with people, and I need input from you lovely lot.

I'll try and make this as interesting as possible. Please give me feedback on how I'm doing, I'd like to be able to improve on my writing styles.

I'll post up the first bit before the end of the week - I'm thinking possibly having Thursdays or Fridays as my update day, as I usually have Wednesday evenings free.

Keep smiling!
Bagel

2 comments:

  1. Pigina Deckchair31 March 2016 at 01:58

    I suppose you can't explain why toast lands butter side down all down my dressing gown, as it did this morning (grrr!) can you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a theory. Gravity. The buttered side is heavier, so falls faster than the non-buttered side. It makes PERFECT sense.

    ReplyDelete